Keeping up with our busy Navy lives....wherever we live :)

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Farm Field Trip

 Abby's class had their 2nd field trip this year, and today it was to a local farm here in Virginia Beach!
Luckily it was a Thursday and Maddy was in school too, so I could volunteer as a parent helper!
Her class is small this year, about 6 kids less than normal, so that makes field trips even easier. 
The farm tour included seeing and learning about Chickens, Ducks, Roosters, Pony, Donkey, and Cows! They don't actually have cows on their farm, but they took actual cow's milk cream in a small jar, and had a few parents shake it around for 10 minutes. Sure enough when it was ready it was BUTTER!!! We spread some on a cracker for each kid! Abby loved it.
Then in a group of 30 or so kids and 12 adults we took a hayride to their pumpkin patch to pick pumpkins right off the vine! Literally the adults were handed shears to cut the pumpkins that the kids picked out to take home! Abby chose a cute normal one, and I chose a "Goosebumps" pumpkin variety. It has a lot of bumps all over the surface! After the pumpkin picking we met back for a group photo and picnic lunch!
Then Abby and I were off to go grab Maddy from school! So much fun.
Abby's class (she is in the back row, 3rd from the left in a black/white winter hat)
It was COLD at 9am this morning when we arrived. I had gloves on and was wishing I had bundled up more. Probably 45 degrees and breezy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mike, Allison, Abby and Maddy Smith

Living life in beautiful........well, everywhere......US NAVY!!!