I had the most amazing Japanese experience so far last night out with 20+ friends!!! We walked from our houses to the base front gate and grabbed cabs to the restaurant.
The base Officer Spouse group hosted a dinner out to an all you can eat and drink (all alcohol included!!!) "Izakaya" restaurant. They bring all the food in courses to the table. Some dishes family style others individual servings. And the alcohol just kept flowing.
Because we were a scheduled large group, we had a private room on the third floor, and sat on traditional tatami mats. The Japanese wives whose spouses work on the base joined us. So I met some new faces and they were great at explaining all the food and drinks!
Amidst food deliveries to the table, we participated in some fun antics of skits, and played Japanese "telephone" where 5 Americans had to carry forward a Japanese phrase and the Japanese women had to do the same with an American tongue twister!! The Japanese women politely requested we not photograph or videotape the entertainment portion....they are modest and what happens at girls night.....stays at girls night. Or as they say it, keep the fun in your heart, not on film!!!
Round 1--sashimi platter!! The usual suspects. My favorite was the thinly sliced fish (from the resulting skeleton)! The Japanese women told me to eat it with some of the chopped onion and ginger for the best flavor.
This was a broth with veggies and a shrimp. Whole steamed Okra, carrot, Japanese pumpkin, and a potato
My drinks for the night too! Grapefruit Sochu, Beer, and Sake!!
This dish was amazing! These are green bell peppers that have the most bold taste!! No spice. All flavor! The fried rolls are chicken wrapped with Shiso leaves inside! Delish!!
This was my favorite dish of the night! Eggplant, covered with a thick spread of Miso paste, Mirin sauce, soy sauce and sugar! Roasted!!!! Amazing. I need to replicate this! We ate everything with chopsticks FYI!!
The Japanese women said this is high grade Sake! The good stuff!! I took the photo so I can go buy more at the store!! It was so sweet and smooth. I'm usually not a Sake lover, but I was last night!!







No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.